ConfigMgr PXE Boot Log displays PXE boot events in an easy-to-view format and provides a history of PXE boot attempts on a distribution point during a selected time period. The tool can also display any records that exist in ConfigMgr associated with a device based on its SMBIOS GUID. The ‘log’ entries returned come from the status messages sent by the distribution point and not from the SMSPXE.log.
The tool can help in troubleshooting PXE boot failures such as devices not being targeted with a deployment, duplicate records in the ConfigMgr database, or mismatched unique identifiers because of hardware changes.
- Minimum PowerShell 5
- Minimum .Net Framework 4.5
- Minimum read-only access to the Configuration Manager database (db_datareader role)
The tool can be downloaded and installed from the Technet Gallery.
- For first time use, click the “More Options” menu (3 dots, top-right) and choose Settings
- Enter your Configuration Manager SQL Server and Database
- Optionally select to view dates and times in your local timezone instead of the default UTC.
- Click Save.
Using the Tool
- Select a PXE-Enabled distribution point from the drop-down list.
- Select a time period to view results
- Click Retrieve Log
- Double-click any log entry to retrieve the associated record/s for the device in ConfigMgr
Source code is available on GitHub